Thursday, December 2, 2010

Paths of Victory


Bob Dylan cover by Cat Power















Lately all I've been doing is dreaming about taking a road trip to Santa Fe via Arizona. Actually, I've been thinking about it for about 2 years straight at this point, but in the past few weeks I've been checking out more books about Navajo weaving, pre Columbian art and adobe decor that have further whetted my already ravenous appetite.















No idea when I will actually make it there, but I have a feeling I will pass out with joy when I finally reach the promised land of the Museum of International Folk Art, Santa Fe Indian Market and cliff dwellings, among a billion other special and sweet things.













I read about something that sounds totally amazing today: The Hubbell Trading Post. It's in northeastern Arizona and is the oldest continuously operating Navajo trading post, now operated by the National Park Services. Definitely will be on my list of stops along the way!































Have I mentioned I am totally over my so-called "career," mostly cause I can't make enough money to actually live, even with 2 jobs? I'm open to suggestions...I don't really know what to do with myself at this point aside from run away to Santa Fe.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a dream trip to me, you should definitely make it happen! Have you done any road tripping through the southwest before? Nothing beats a southwest roadtrip for magic, beauty, and adventure. I've done a couple, but it's been waaay too long. I hope we can fit one in next year with the new trailer!

    p.s. Have you mentioned what your so-called "career" is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't been anywhere in the sw since i was around 8, so it's beyond time to head back! :) i actually think that we really may try to go (though i am not a fan of heat) in the summer for the int'l folk art fest.

    http://www.folkartmarket.org/

    that trailer of yours is sure a beaut! i love that you are thinking about taking it out for a sw-ern spin!

    ah, my "careers"...well, i work at the library and also for a retail store's website. neither seem to be going anywhere, so i am kind of having one of those "omg...i feel stuck" moments...hopefully i can shake myself out of it and just be patient (not one of my finer abilities). starting to think maybe going to curatorial school would be good, but would probably ultimately lead to the same prob i have now. nothing i am passionate about is easy to get a job doing or to make enough money to live in the bay area at, ya know? esp right now. trying to just continue moving forward and keep my head up. :)

    ReplyDelete