Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rudy Foolish


by Superwolf



















This weekend I got free passes to the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. As a child, this was the most magical place of all to my brother and I and we spent countless hours lost in its labyrinthine exhibits. Truly, a huge, huge influence on my life.






















They tore down the old building about 5 years ago (it wasn't earthquake-safe, so they said) and built a new, thoroughly modern museum. Though I've been several times now, it doesn't hold the same majesty the old one held, and I don't think it's because I am older now. Simply put, it both holds less stuff, and modernity has stripped the soul of the place.






















That said, it's not all bad, of course, and one of the major highlights of this latest visit for me was the unexpected discovery of a small exhibit called Evolving Traditions: Southwest Native Pottery and Silver, which produced much "ooh-ing" and "aaaaah-ing" from me.






















Here I learned of the Elkus family, who collected thousands of artifacts while being legal advocates for Indians. Their collection is now owned by the Academy and is incredible, as you can see from the images included here (though some of the images are of objects not on display at this exhibit)! Glad to see the Academy highlight subject matter such as this.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds like an awesome exhibit! Is that last item a painting? I love it. It makes me think of the illustrations in The Girl Who Loved Horses.

    So, the last time I was at the Academy of Sciences, which was over a year ago now, I was wandering around in the Natural History area taking pictures and a girl I didn't know walked up to me and asked me if my name was Missa, then added: "Do you have a blog called Thrift Candy?" Ha! I got teased for the rest of the day by the family members I was with. They were like well maybe if the people at the end of this (Rainforest Exhibit) line knew who we were with, we could get in there quicker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi missa, you're famous -- recognized at the academy! :)

    it's a painting, indeed. it wasn't up in the exhibit, though -- i found it in the online collection. there are so many more artifacts in the elkus collection than were displayed...i'm still browsing em online when i have the time. amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and i had the same thought about the girl who loved wild horses illustrations! :) awesome.

    ReplyDelete