Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sea Song


by Robert Wyatt (live)

















Ever since I made this post about a collection of Native American art, I have become interested in Inuit block and stone printing, something they learned from the Japanese in more modern times. This art catalog on ebay's cover really struck me. I've always been a big fan of this kind of printing in general and the primitive look of it, but I particularly like the Inuit focus on aspects of nature and abstraction. The stark quality of the style seems to lend itself especially well to what I imagine is a fairly stark life on the frozen tundra.






























by Joe Talirunili
















by Davidialuk Alasua Amittu

































by Annie Kilabuk

2 comments:

  1. I really love this style of print too, and that's interesting, I had no idea they learned it from the Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that's fascinating too -- didn't know till i started delving deeper. hopefully will keep learning more. seems like the heyday of this style was the mid 60s.

    ReplyDelete